It was my impression that the “Men’s Parties/Wrestling Club” at 1618-A 14th Street had already shut down after the death of a patron last October. It was open for some time afterward, though. Now, it appears it is now official. Saw this brief at WaPo DC Wire, which is based on a news release by DC Attorney General Peter Nickles:
The District has shut down several health spas, social clubs and massage parlors that officials found to be associated with prostitution and illegal sexually-oriented activities, according to a news release from the office of Attorney General Peter Nickles.
Included on the list is “Wrestling Club at 1618 14th Street NW.” You may remember that the Men’s Parties/Wrestling Club rose to local fame when a man apparently fell down a flight of stairs and then died last October early on a Sunday morning. The story was picked up from Borderstan and ran… well, all over the place, beyond DC.
The Washington Business Journal reports that two-thirds of the units at the Metropole, 15th and P NW, are sold.
Amanda Hess, The Sexist columnist at the Washington City Paper, has the latest news related to the “Men’s Parties” death on October 4 at 1618-A 14th Street NW: “D.C. Files Lawsuit Against “Men’s Parties.” From her Thursday posting:
Yesterday, the District of Columbia filed suit against “Men’s Parties,” the underground male sex club located at 1618 14th Street NW. The club has operated for decades in Logan Circle the D.C. area—through fire, allegations of unsafe sexual conditions, and most recently, a member’s death from an accidental head injury inside the club.
Earlier Borderstan Postings:
Did the “Men’s Parties” club at 1618-A 14th Street NW close for good? I dont’ know. Anyone know anything more than what is in this week’s Sexist column at the Washington City Paper? Amanda Hess, The Sexist, has a long piece, “Steep Price: Gay Sex Club Closes After Fatal Injury.”
A patron of the venue was found dead early on the morning of Sunday, October 4. To my knowledge, it has not been determined whether the man fell and hit his head, leading to his death… or whether he fell down a flight of stairs and broke his neck. What’s the latest, readers?
Happy Friday morning, Borderstan. A few news items… some news bits… happenings this weekend. So, read this posting and then turn off your computer and go enjoy the fall weekend. See you Monday.
- There was a gun robbery t 11:40 p.m. last night on the 1500-block of U Street NW. Here is the Police Alert: “Robbery (Gun)_2340 hours_1500 Block U Street, NW_No lookout given DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #i20090562310. Sent on: 10/08 23:56″
- The Humane Society Walk for the Animals is tomorrow (Saturday the 10th)… 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Constitution Gardens on the National Mall.
- The National Equality March events are this weekend, ending with a rally at the U.S. Capitol around 2 p.m. on Sunday.
- On Monday I will have some Crimes of Note for the past couple of weeks… along with a look at crime stats for September for the Borderstan area.
- Cast members of the Real World DC (which is packing up and leaving town after finishing filming) had some of their individual works displayed last night at gallery plan b on 14th Street NW. I wanted to go to last night’s one-night exhibition, but work called (you know, the stuff that pays bills).
- If you missed the second Delhi Dispatch, it’s an interesting read: “Delhi Dispatches: Commuting with Cobras, Deities and Dust.” The contributor is an ex-Borderstanian and a friend and neighbor.
- NBC Channel 4 picked up the story of the “Men’s Parties” death at 14th and Corcoran NW. The Sexist at Washington City Paper summarizes the police crime report for you. 14th & You has a good posting, too: Is the city trying to shut down the club?
- Don’t forget Luis’ picks for stuff to do this weekend in Borderstan and around town, including some restaurant recommendations: “Borderstan Weekend October 10/11.”
- 14th & You has some very good postings on businesses coming and going on the 14th Street corridor: “Update: “Green Pets” Relocation Moving Forward” and “Latest on Birch & Barley; Diamond District Seafood coming soon.”
- If you’re going to see what’s in your Netflix movie queue, plan to watch something on-demand or are head to the video store (if you can still find one!)… check in with Mary the Borderstan Movie Fan: “Borderstan Movie Fan: Health Care Options at the Movies” or check out some of her other recommendations for food movies or sexy movies.
Amanda Hess, “The Sexist” blogger/reporter at the Washington City Paper, attended tonight’s ANC 2F/Logan Circle meeting and has an update on the goings-on at 1618-A 14th Street NW: “Men’s Party” Sex Club Victim May Have Broken Neck.” From her report:
At tonight’s ANC 2F meeting, 3rd District Lieutenant Vanessa Moore provided some details into the police investigation of Sunday’s sex club death at 1618 14th Street NW…. Moore says D.C. police are working with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs to attempt to close the club. “I know he does not have any license at that location,” Moore said. “We’re looking for ways to shut him down.” Go to CP article
The Washington Blade posted a story online on Tuesday by reporter Lou Chibbaro Jr.
On our bedtime walk-with-the-dog, we went by 1618-A 14th Street NW, site of the early Sunday morning death of a patron at the location’s private club. The police tape was gone and the gate was unlocked.
After taking a gander at the building’s front, we headed down the 1400-block of Corcoran. There is an iron security gate on the Corcoran side of the building and you can easily look into the back “garden” area of 1618. We heard a door open and saw light coming from the building. A guy stepped into the back area. I asked him if they were open for business. “Yes,” was the response. Continue reading